Game Review 1: Grim Fandango (1998)

I remembered playing this game ages ago and it is always comes to mind when i think of PC games that i particularly enjoyed… kind of addictive at that point of time and here are a few reasons why. Firstly, the 3D graphics are captivating (at that point of time although it appears blocky now when compared to the 3D capabilities these days of course, though still interesting) and the setting is reminiscent of the jazz era e.g. the main character a skeleton in a zoot suit with mexican accent or rather ‘Spanglish’ which is a mix of Spanish and English. I like the location design visually as well as the different background music that changes in different scenes for example the blues cafe, at shipyards, tattoo parlors, etc. Sometimes, new scenes will open up new abilities such as driving a car. The game plot is good as well with an interesting story line as it occurs in the land of the dead yet things are just as lively or even livelier than the real world with many colorful dead characters.

Grim Fandango is produced by LucasArts. What makes it so engaging is the drive to solve mysteries, putting pieces together in order to progress in the game which will lead to new destinations and meeting new interesting characters. It is controlled by keyboard and mouse or joystick. He is able to collect items or inventories which can be used with other objects in the game to solve puzzles.

The drawback is the long waiting time for the game to load or in the transition of scenes which can be frustrating. Other than that its one of the best classic games I’ve played.

-Sarah ZA-

zxzxlch said... said:

January 19, 2010 at 11:16 PM  

I love the old LucasArts adventure games, especially the Monkey Island series. They have a... roguely kind of charm. Still, my 21st century attention span doesn't allow me to have the patience for adventure games anymore. I feel nostalgic about them though. If you like adventure games, I would recommend Ben There, Dan That (http://www.zombie-cow.com/)!

Game Design II said... said:

January 20, 2010 at 11:59 AM  

I haven't tracked down a copy of Grim Fandango just yet (one I found was for over $50, I'm a fan of LucasArts, but that's just bogus), though I've completed all the Monkey Islands (cept LeChuck's Revenge, that one is TOUGH), and also pretty much all the stuff Tim Schafer's been doing (Psychonauts, Brutal Legend etc.).

The new Tales of Monkey Island series is pretty good, full Season 1 is done and available on TellTales' games site now. Though the final episode I gotta say, massive let-down after the other episodes to be honest.

This, and Full Throttle are still on my to-do list.

Post a Comment

Template by Oriol Sanchez | blogger template by blog forum